Making fun of Fix the Family September 13, 2013Posted by mareserinitatis in feminism, religion, societal commentary.
Tags: college, daughters, fix the family, sexism
I came across a blog post on facebook. It was one of those that’s so absolutely stupid that you simply can’t help but respond. I realize I’m potentially feeding trolls here…but you have to see it to believe it. The one redeeming value in this post was that, for once, it was actually worthwhile to read the comments.
What post is this? Six reasons not to send your daughter to college Except it’s not six reasons: after posting, two more reasons were added.
Yeah, seriously. Not only do people still believe this crap, they’re apparently stupid enough to post it in a public place for all to mock. They begin the article by supposedly diffusing all claims that they’re misogynist and sexist (not to mention blatantly anti-feminist). Here’s what they have to say:
- You don’t believe in educating women. Sure we do…as long as it’s to become a stay-at-home mother.
- You believe in oppressing women. Bingo! But we’re not going to call it that because we’re in denial about our position of privilege.
- You believe in taking away opportunities for women and trapping them into a subservient role. As long as she’s only subservient to her husband…cuz God says so.
- God calls women to use their talents. As long as those talents are raising children and keeping house.
- A woman needs to have something to provide income in case her husband dies, becomes disabled or leaves her. But this never happens to people who are responsible. If this is a problem, it’s because you stupidly didn’t take care of it when you could have, you idiotic woman. Or you weren’t subservient enough to keep that dead-beat around. Either way, you’re still stupid.
So now that we’ve established their real stance, let’s take a look at the actual reasons women shouldn’t go to college. I tried to provide a translation to make the meaning more transparent:
- She will attract the wrong types of men. You see, college men are the wrong types. They’re all lampreys, seeking the perfect woman to support them and take care of them while they sit at home and play video games all day. Once they have the perfect woman trapped, they will inevitably give up their career goals and sit at home eating bon-bons all day while she wears the pants in the family. None of them would consider actually being responsible, pursuing a career, or desiring to marry a woman who is actually an equal in the relationship. Obviously, a man’s life goals are going to crumble in the face of that particular temptation.
- She will be in a near occasion of sin. You see, women are too inept to actually be able to handle sexual temptation. They might find out they like having sex, and that’s not okay unless they’ve been duped into marrying someone. Then it’s okay to like sex because it blinds women to mens’ faults (which is the only way to maintain a civil marriage), and more important, it makes teh babiez!
- She will not learn to be a wife and mother. College is useless, you see, because women are only there to raise kids and take care of their husbands (as long as they remain subservient to them). So obviously it’s not teaching her the right skills. If she wants to have the right skills, she must get hitched and start making babies immediately, obviously with a man who she meets at church because those college guys are just too lazy…otherwise she’s just wasting her life. Baby bootcamp is the only way to go…and women should get there as soon as possible.
- The cost of a degree is becoming more difficult to recoup. You see, men are obviously worth more in the marketplace, so it makes economic sense for women to only take on menial labor tasks until they can find someone who has real economic value to take care of them. Then they can do the job that they were meant to do: make babies!
- You don’t have to prove anything to the world. Women only go to college because of peer pressure. In reality, fulfillment and independence really have no place in the decision. The only fulfilling thing a woman can do in her life is raise kids.
- It could be a near occasion of sin for the parents. Parents are financially responsible for their children might not pop out as many babies as physically possible, so they’re just a bunch of sinners. Parents should only be responsibly financial for their sons because girls don’t really need educations: they’re only going to be mothers, anyway.
- She will regret it. Women may think they want to go to college after high school, but once they are a bit older, they’ll wish they’d made more babies instead.
- It could interfere with a religious vocation. If she doesn’t want to be a mother, she might want to be a nun, and college degrees are useless for nuns and may make them ineligible, as well.
I guess I’m lucky I don’t have any daughters and I’m not Catholic or I might be in a quandry right now.